Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC : Gamer Demo Reels
From: Scott McCabe <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 02:27:55 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>      As someone who's been doing extensive searches for game 
>creation talent, there's really only one thing I'm looking for. 
>Good character animation. Modeling in low polygons is something 
>just about anyone can learn to do well, but good character 
>animation is something that takes a little more time. 

The character animation I think I can handle, it's just the modeling 
of the thing that I need a bunch of work at. It's wieird though,
for the most part, the most popular games usually has about
3-5 frames of animation per motion unless it's a cinematic sequence.
(That I've seen)

I guess this was my main reason for asking this question becuase
I've seen that the use for character animation kinda differs between 
games and TV/Film...a bit. I was curious to find what the game field 
focused on more.. character animation or creation/animation of 
enviroments, objects and such. The work I've done I would like to
put onto a reel, but like my message stated, it's been mostly
maps,objects and *very* little animation. I would probably have to
make something special for the tape.

I guess anyone can model a wall,building or object of any kind but 
character modeling/animation does indeed take some work. 

>I also look at texture maps alot, as most 3d games require the 
>abuse of good textures. But overall seeing someone work with 
>heriarchies well always gives them an advantage.

I know how textures can play an important part of a game...since 
they really can make or break a mood/scene.

Thanks very much for replying! As this is the field I am looking to
make my living in, I want to send a good demo and not something that
they'll just throw away.

--Scott

/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\
URL : http://www.kosone.com/people/scottm/welcome.html
E-mail: [email-masked]

 ...fire is the time in which we burn....
          
                            -DR. Soran
                             STTNG : Generations        
\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-